Thursday, July 4, 2013

SINGING and SPIRITUALITY---HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!

SINGING

Singing has always been a passion of mines. 

I singing when I am happy. I sing when I am sad. I sing to get my my friends and family's nerves, but regardless of the motives behind my singing, I always sing with a purpose.

At my home school, I sing on the Columbia College Heavenly Creations Gospel Choir. I joined the choir back home because I wanted to sing praise to God, and uplifts the spirits of myself and others.

I don't have any technical training in singing--I usually just sing by ear--I just love singing.So when the time came for the student to pick an expressive culture task, I choose Traditional Indian Singing. Of course there were other options like dancing, painting, and learning how to play a variety of different instruments, but  I choose vocals--frankly because I cant really dance (so I'm told :-/) and the other instruments seemed like more of a challenge that I was willing take on. I figure that by singing, I could learning some new techniques that I could use in my own singing styles.

SPIRITUALITY (a quick revelation)

Last night when I went to my singing lesson, I had a slight revelation to the spirituality behind singing. Our instructor (I say our because it me and two others), Sameer, is a renowned professor of music and is very famous int he state of Maharashtra--he is also the program director big brother.

Okay, so last night after we had finished singing our "Sa, Re, Ga's"... Sameer said to us, "In India we a a negative connotation with God. Instead of us we God is this, or God is that--we say 'God is not this, He is MORE than this', or 'God is not that, He is MORE than that.'"

I thought this was the most heart touching thing that I have heard thus far in India, until he said, (paraphrasing...it was over 12 hours ago) "Singing cannot be GODLY! People always want to be more Godly, but God is more than what you try to be. When you sing, you should not strive to be perfect/Godly, because as human beings, we are always becoming, we will never be perfect because God is always more."

JUST SPEECHLESS......

Anywho, Happy 4th of JULY!!! 

      PS. I am sad (low key) that I will not be able to get some of my aunty Angle cooking this year, but its all the more I will eat when I arrive home in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment